For the first time in living memory most people will not be able to go to their local church for the most sacred week of the year. During Holy Week (between Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday) Christians contemplate the suffering, death and resurrection of Christ and prayerfully attend a series of liturgies which are celebrated on the days corresponding to the events in the life of Christ.
“The Paschal mystery of Christ’s cross and Resurrection stands at the centre of the Good News that the apostles, and the Church following them, are to proclaim to the world. God’s saving plan was accomplished “once for all” by the redemptive death of his Son Jesus Christ.”
We are apart but we can be one
This year, due to restrictions resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic, Catholics are invited to join in prayer from their homes while the Masses and other ceremonies are held in churches without a congregation present and some priests celebrate Mass privately in their homes.
All the Holy Week liturgies will be celebrated at the Cathedral in Cork and people can join by the Cathedral live stream.
For people who are at home and wish to pray during these sacred days on their own or with family, a series of Prayer Guides is available here.
• The first document is a short overview. Then there is a Download for each day of Holy Week:
1. About Bringing Holy Week Home Download
2. Bringing Holy Week Home Palm Sunday Download
3. Bringing Holy Week-Home Monday Download
4. Bringing Holy Week Home Tuesday Download
5. Bringing Holy Week Home Wednesday Download
6. Bringing Holy Week Home Holy Thursday Download
7. Bringing Holy Week Home Good Friday Download
8. Bringing Holy Week Home Holy Saturday Download
9. Bringing Holy Week Home Easter Sunday Download
Further resources which you can use to pray at home: