Sacrament of Penance/Confession Part III
This is one possible model for an examination of conscience: it is based on scripture
Jesus said: ‘You will love the Lord your God with all your heart…’
- Is my heart set on God, so that I really love him above all things?
- Am I open to his presence?
- Do I listen to his Word in the readings? To the teaching of the Church?
- What place has prayer in my life?
- Is the Eucharist (Mass) the centre of my Christian life?
- Do I attend Mass on Sundays and Holydays of Obligation?
- Do I allow the Lord to be the Lord, or do I try to be the Lord myself?
- Do I cling to my will, my wants, my ways?
- Have I love and reverence for the name of God?
- Am I ashamed to witness to my faith in God in my daily life?
- Do I rebel against taking up the Cross in my life?
- Do I turn to God only when I am in need?
Jesus said: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself…’
- Have I a genuine love for my neighbour?
- Am I well-disposed, able to forgive offences?
- Do I judge without mercy, thought and word?
- Do I speak ill of others? Do I slander?
- Am I intolerant, envious, hot-tempered?
- Do I take care of the poor, the sick, the defenceless?
- Am I sincere and honest in my dealings with others?
- Have I been the cause of another’s committing sin?
- In my family life, have I contributed to the well-being and happiness of the rest of the family by patience and genuine love?
- Do I exercise responsible parenthood according to the teachings of the Church?
- Do I care for and respect the environment in which I live?
- Do I seek the well-being of others?
- Do I think enough about those who are less fortunate?
- Am I a spectator before people’s problems, or do I help?
- Do I despise those of another creed, colour or opinion?
- Am I respectful of other people’s property?
- Have I abused someone’s property or stolen another’s goods?
- Have I ever abused a minor?
- Do I forgive those who sin against me?
- Do I do my duty as a citizen?
- Have I failed to report abuse to the statutory authorities?
Jesus said: ‘Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect’
- Do I truly live as a Christian and give good example to others?
- Have I gone against my conscience out of fear or hypocrisy?
- Have I participated in things which offend both Christian and human decency?
- Am I too concerned about myself, my health, my success?
- Do I go to excess in matters of food and drink?
- Have I kept my senses and my whole body pure and chaste as a temple of the Holy Spirit?
- Do I bear grudges; do I contemplate revenge?
- Do I share my possessions with the less fortunate?
- Do I take offence too easily?
- Do I use the gift of time well?
- Am I able to forgive myself?
- Do I try to be humble and bring peace?